4617 Valleydale Rd. Birmingham , Al 35242                   


Business Office


North Shelby Fire Business Office


Monday – Thursday 8:30 to 4:30

Friday 8:30 to 12:00

Business Office 205-991-6439 ext. 1

Glenda Jones - Office Manager

Payment Methods:

Check / please include account number and telephone number on your check

We will accept Cash during regular business hours.

We now accept Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express during regular business hours via phone or in person at the business office.

Processing fee for in person card payments is 2.75%

Processing Fee for over the phone payments or cards that cannot be swiped is 3.5% + 0.15 ¢



Payment Plans

As long as the balance is paid by December 31st, you may make as many small payments as needed.  However, if you cannot have the balance paid by December 31st, please call the Office Manager to sign a payment agreement.  A Rebilling fee will be added in January but once all agreed upon payments are made in a timely manner, it will be reversed.


10/01/2017 to 09/30/2018



Shelby County Residential $302.55


Hydrant Fee $20.00 (only if on Birmingham Water)


Wine Ridge Residential       $348.65


Commercial .17 ¢ per sq. ft. or $192.48 minimum


Commercial sprinkled .1045¢ per sq. ft. or $192.48 minimum


Apartments $230.05 per unit


Single-Wide Mobile Homes $193.55 per unit


Churches/Private Schools $192.48


Outbuildings $91.50per unit

(Any structure on your property other than your home, i.e. barn, detached garage, shed, etc.)


Rebilling Fee on Balances not paid by December 31st

Shelby County  $30.00

Wine Ridge  $41.66



Bills go out the third week in September as a courtesy reminder.  Fire dues are mandatory and must be paid in a timely manner.  They are due October 1st and delinquent after December 31st.  You are paying for the fiscal year which covers October 1st of this year through September 30th of the next year.  Rebilling fees are added January 1st.  These charges cannot be waived unless there has been a bookkeeping error on our part.  Not receiving a bill does not constitute removal of rebilling fees.  We are not responsible for address changes.  It is the property owner’s responsibility to keep us informed of the correct billing address.  If you sell your property, most title companies require an assessment letter stating whether dues are current.  We will change the name on the account to the new owner at that time.  However, you may want to contact us to make sure it was changed if an assessment letter was not requested.   Fire dues on delinquent properties are turned over to an attorney who will try again to collect but, if unsuccessful, may result in foreclosure proceedings.  The fire district has first lien rights above mortgage companies.



Mortgage companies have become more aggressive in paying fire dues.  Unless specifically requested, we always send the bill to the property owner.  We do not bill mortgage companies.  When you receive your bill for fire dues, call your mortgage company to see if they will be paying them from your escrow account.  Mortgage companies generally use third party tax services for items that can cause a lien to be placed on your property, i.e. taxes, fire dues, municipal assessments, etc.  These institutions research your property to gather all that information (generally during October) and send it to your mortgage company.  The mortgage company bills your escrow account (usually about the first of December) and pays the third party which in turn pays us (generally in the last couple of days of December).  Payments made to us between October and December are not reflected in their records which will still show a balance due.


If your mortgage company sent you a letter stating that they paid your fire dues and you have paid them yourself . . .

We accept the first payment we receive, regardless of who pays it.  Any other payments are returned to the payer.  There will not be a double payment on your account and the mortgage company/tax service payment cannot be refunded to the property owner if they have already paid.  Usually the property owner payment was received first and applied.  The second payment has been returned to the mortgage company/tax service that sent it but the refund process generally takes 2 to 3 months to show the credit to your escrow account.  Also, if they pay it once, chances are they will pay it again in the future.  The best way to avoid the confusion is to let them pay it.  If you are in doubt that it was paid, please call the NSFD Business Office about the middle of January and check.  If they paid it in the past but not this time, arrangements for payment by the property owner can be made.



***Effective 8/1/13, assessment letter fees will be $25 regardless of who requests the letter.***

Assessment letter request should be emailed To Any faxed request will be returned via email if possible.  There is a $25.00 charge.  Please include the complete property address, seller and purchaser information, or owner information if it is for a refinance.